Verse of the Day

My Musings, Observations, etc.

Questions?

Do you have a question about the Bible? Do you have a question about some doctrine or why we do what we do? Click here to send us your question and we will try to give you an answer as soon as possible.
December 10, 2009
It is amazing how, as we grow and mature in Christ, we see things differently. Day by day, the Lord illuminates different things to us. He shows us how we should grow in His likeness.
Shortly after I was saved, I played the role of Santa at a company Christmas party. At first, I was quite excited about it, looking forward to in, in fact. But as the time drew near, I had an uneasy feeling in me which I did not understand. As the party went on, that uneasy feeling grew and I recognized it as the grieving of the Holy Spirit. I knew what I was doing was wrong, but I did not understand why. However, at the conclusion of that night, I knew I would never dress as Santa again.
The years passed, and I really didn’t think about it again until we had children. Really, I didn’t think about it until our kids were old enough to talk and start to understand things. As I thought about the subject, I remembered dressing as Santa and my spirit being grieved. I started to look at why. Why would the Lord be upset with me over this? After all, it’s really all just in fun, right? Let’s just look at that. Is it really all in fun? Does that make it ok?

Suppose I told my kids, like so many parents do, that they need to be good for Santa, that Santa could see them when they sleep and know if they were being good or bad. The first question is wouldn’t that be a lie? Wouldn’t I be lying to my children?

Mat 19:18-19 He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, (19) Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
What exactly does it mean to ‘bear false witness’? Isn’t that a lie? Are there degrees to lies? Is a lie ok as long as it is just in fun? Of course not. There were no conditions set on lying. A lie is a lie, pure and simple. So, what if you don’t have kids, but you promote Santa to others? Wouldn’t you be promoting the same lie in someone else’s kid’s minds?
But lying is just one aspect. Think about the attributes of Santa.

  • He can see you wherever you are and he knows if you have been bad or good: he is all knowing. Jehovah God is omniscient. No one else is. To claim that someone else can ‘know’ if you have been bad or good is a lie and it is assigning attributes of God to another.
  • To deliver presents as he does, Santa must be able to transcend time and space in ways no one else can, or he is not subject to time. God is timeless.
But, there is more! In my opinion, this is the worst part. A few years ago, someone gave us a Christmas card which typifies the concern. This was a card with the simple phrase ‘Merry Christmas’ inside and a Norman Rockwell style picture on the outside. The picture was the concern. It was a picture of a young child on his knees, beside his bed, praying. Over his head, in the clouds was an image of Santa making a list. Who was the child praying to?

Exo 20:3-5 Thou shalt have no other gods before me. (4) Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth: (5) Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me.
Do you get this? God is proclaiming that He is a jealous God and that he will not hold him blameless who puts another god before him. Clearly, God is commanding us to put no other god before him, yet as a society, we are holding Santa up as an alternative god for children. The card was an image of a child praying to Santa Claus. I met a young boy a few years ago who did not even know who Jesus was, but he quickly told me that Christmas was about Santa Claus.
Really, though, it’s all harmless since it is all in fun, right? It’s all done with a smile and a wink, right? Speaking of the fool:

Prov 10:10 He that winketh with the eye causeth sorrow: but a prating fool shall fall.
Whether it is with a wink, or in fun, playing or promoting Santa Claus is still a clear violation of one of the commandments of the Word of God, and likely two.

0 comments: