Verse of the Day

My Musings, Observations, etc.

Questions?

Do you have a question about the Bible? Do you have a question about some doctrine or why we do what we do? Click here to send us your question and we will try to give you an answer as soon as possible.
December 29, 2011
There are many who claim Independent Baptist Churches are not really independent. Well, they are right. They got us. Our secret is out! At least, I am certainly not independent.

In his day, Paul dealt with an issue in the Corinthian church where people were following certain men. Some followed Apollos, some follow Paul and some follow others. Today, some follow Bob Jones, some follow Peter Ruckman, some follow John Calvin, some follow Jack Hyles and some follow others. Consider the following passage:
1Co 3:3-7 For ye are yet carnal: for whereas there is among you envying, and strife, and divisions, are ye not carnal, and walk as men? (4) For while one saith, I am of Paul; and another, I am of Apollos; are ye not carnal? (5) Who then is Paul, and who is Apollos, but ministers by whom ye believed, even as the Lord gave to every man? (6) I have planted, Apollos watered; but God gave the increase. (7) So then neither is he that planteth any thing, neither he that watereth; but God that giveth the increase.

Paul referred to these who followed men as carnal. So, following Paul's example, I refuse to be a follower of men. If we stopped there, many would label me as independent, but I am not. In fact, there is a man who I diligently try to follow. Who, do you ask, is that man? Jesus.

Am I independent? No. I am a bond-slave who has been bought with a price. I strive to do my Master's bidding and serve Him every day. Is this service laborious? Absolutely not. I am thankful for my Master's work in my life. He rescued me. I was on a broad path of destruction. There were many people on this path with me: co-workers, friends, relatives and strangers. Sadly, there are still many on this path. However, there was a day when Jesus, my Master, came along and showed me the end of this broad path. He offered me an alternative. He showed me that it was my sins which were taking me down this road. He also showed me how a debt had accumulated for my sin. Finally, through His Holy and Precious Word, He showed me that the debt had been paid. How was the debt paid? Who paid it? My master purchased my redemption with His own blood.

You may also be on this path, but the same blood which purchased me can set you free as well.

0 comments: